Lifestyle changes are an important part of treatment. Be guided by your doctor, but general self-help suggestions include:
- Take steps to properly manage risk factors, such as diabetes or high blood pressure, as advised by your doctor.
- Quit smoking.
- Exercise regularly. Ask your doctor for advice on appropriate activities.
- Eat a low-fat, high-fibre diet.
- Maintain a healthy weight for your height and build.
- Take care of injuries to the affected area, for example, dress wounds promptly and seek medical attention.
- Take all medications strictly as prescribed.
- See your doctor for regular check-ups.
- See your doctor if you have symptoms in the affected body part such as redness, warmth and swelling. These symptoms could be signs of infection.
Click here to return to VASCULAR & ENDOVASCULAR SURGERY information.